Sunday, August 31, 2008

Workshop Fatigue?

(A Happy Note: A couple days ago, I passed the magical milestone of $100 worth of ad clicks. Which means the good folks at Google AdSense will be sending me a check next month. So thanks to all of your who've been reading and clicking - Keep up the good work!)

A short time from now, I'm going to Jen and Molly's, for Sunday dinner (Jen & Molly are both actors I met through ACG; Jen is probably the most successful ACG regular, and Molly, after being the "power behind the throne" for a couple years, now runs ACG).

It's a regular "thing" (Them inviting friends over on Sunday nights), but I've only been able to participate the past couple months, since quitting my job at ArcLight Cinemas (Though I didn't go last week, cause I was dragging physically, and didn't feel up to it).

But speaking of ACG...

The September schedule of casting workshops has been out for awhile now, but I haven't signed up for any.

It's partly because the schedule's full of people I've already seen, and don't feel I need to see again.

But it's also because I'm frustrated that I'm not getting auditions/booking gigs, and I'd really like my "career" to be about something more than going to workshops.

Soon I'm going to start working at Weight Watchers (I've been "hired", and the paperwork's done - I'm just waiting to hear back when I start training), and one thing I've been considering, when I get a sense of my new schedule, is how doing theater might fit into that schedule.

Now, starting to do theater again wouldn't preclude continuing to do workshops.

Except...

Most of the theaters here in LA seem to have "memberships" - You audition, you become a "member", there's a minimum monthly "work requirement" ...and there are monthly dues.

And unless my financial fortunes take a serious upturn - which is certainly possible (A good network national would certainly do the trick!) - I can't afford to add another monthly bill into the mix.

So something would have to go. And that "something" would probably be workshops.

But there are reasons I don't want to give up workshops, and reasons I'm ambivalent about trying to do theater again, so I will almost certainly be writing about this stuff again, soon.

But for now, it's off to North Hollywood, for a little Sunday night dining...

(In my next entry, I'm going to write about why I'm not going to tell you "Why I've Always Wanted To Be An Actor". Stay tuned...)


No comments: