Friday, August 15, 2008

Karaoke-ing The Night Away

Well, karaoke was great fun last night.

I was a bit nonplussed when, after putting in my first song request ("Keep Your Hands To Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites), the DJ came out and told me that cd had been lost or destroyed or stolen - I've forgotten which - and was thus not available.

But after that little karaoke "hiccup" - And forgetting my imminently forgettable rendition of "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" (My first song of the evening) - I did manage to get my performing rocks off; I only did one more solo (Cameo's "Word Up", which always goes over well), but I got up with four people to do "Bust A Move" (Which I've tried a couple of times solo, but never gotten all the way through it without stumbling over myself), worked a harmonica solo into some country song I've forgotten now, and did the recitative(sp?) section of "Are You Lonely Tonite?", Elvis-style (Jon, who runs the agency, was singing).

And unlike some past outings, we had a great turnout, and a number of people who were really entertaining onstage, who could either actually sing, were savvy performers, or both (One couple - Steven and Saskia - met when they were in The Lion King on Broadway, so yeah - they were pretty good).

All in all, a nice night.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I have to say I'm a little envious of your Karaoke night. I went to one recently, finally had to leave because it was a strain just to be polite about the singing and the urge to scream "STOP IT, STOP IT, SHUT UP, STOP IT" was becoming overwhelming.