Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Are We Having Fun Yet?

I was hoping, by the time I wrote my next entry here, that I'd be telling you I booked Wizards Of Waverly Place.

But alas - While I may still get the call, I haven't gotten it yet. And since I want to keep this little venture humming along, by writing on a regular basis, I don't have time to wait.

(To the acting newcomer: What I'm doing right now - obsessing over a potential gig - is pretty much the worst thing you can do as an actor. It'll make you crazier than you no doubt already are. So you can read about me doing it...but never do it yourself.)

So beyond eying my cell phone, waiting for "the call", what's going on in my acting world this week?

Well, I have two casting workshops (I can't even tell you what offices they're from - all I've got written on my calendar are the names of the associates I'm seeing).

It was going to be three workshops - one tonite, one Thursday night, and one on Saturday afternoon - but I canceled Thursday's, because it conflicted with a rare karaoke outing organized by my commercial agent.

I was actually uncomfortable canceling a workshop in favor of karaoke; while karaoke has some value as "networking", it's mostly "just for fun", while getting in front of a given casting office can be pretty important to your career.

But that's just it - Your life, anyone's life, shouldn't be just about your "career".

It's important, every so often, to just have fun.

No comments: