Thursday, August 7, 2008

Not Quite "Magical"...But Close

Well, I don't know if I'd say the Wizards Of Waverly Place audition today was "magical"...but it did go very well.

When I got there and signed in, there were two other guys ahead of me, two younger, good-looking fellas.

They were so good-looking, I actually thought "That's all wrong - guys this good-looking are in front of the camera, not behind it".

(For the record, I've been cast as a "paparazzi" - Or would that be "paparazzo"? - in two commercials. I'm just saying.)

The two pretty-boys were in and out very quickly, but I assumed that was just how quickly things were moving, and didn't think much of it.

But when I went in and read with the casting person, we did it once, then he asked if I did accents.

And I don't remember what I said in reply, but it was something vaguely in the affirmative, so he asked me to do it again, try an accent (The scene is supposed to be taking place in Egypt), and do it "with even more energy".

And I did, doing an "accent" I'd define as "something vaguely Middle-Eastern".

Then he said they were going to "put me on tape", and asked me to step out for a moment.

When he called me back in, there were two more people in the room, two women. I don't remember their names, or if I was told what positions they held - but they were clearly decision-makers (And in this game, it's basically, "the more people in the room, the better", so I was happy to see them, whoever they were).

So I did the scene again on camera, and the vibe in the room afterwards was very positive.

So we'll see what happens.

It's an AFTRA show, which means 1) It doesn't pay as much as a SAG show, and 2) Since I'm an AFTRA "must join" at this point - because of a small 4-episode part I did on Passions last year - if I actually book the job, my shoot fee will be applied to my membership.

So financially, getting the job will be meaningless, at least in the short term.

But disappointing as that was to realize, I still would like to book it - for the credit, for the experience, for "bragging rights", what-have-you.

But while we're on the subject of "finances"...

I have a commercial audition tomorrow, a national commercial for the NFL.

And booking that would be "financially meaningful", so wish me luck.

(Hey, you know what? I think, just to "cover my bases", I'm going to go ahead and book both of them.)

No comments: