Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Pretty Funny Script

Yesterday, my car battery was stolen.

Since I just bought a new battery about six weeks ago, I was not especially happy to have to shell out more money for a new new battery.

(I now have a running tally of "things I've had stolen since living in LA" - from bike lights, and bikes themselves, to my car's hubcaps and registration tags - which is a definite downside to "life in the big city".)

"So what's that have to do with acting", you ask?

Well, I wasn't happy about what happened yesterday - It wasn't "fair", it was money I didn't want to be spending (Especially when there isn't much money coming in), and it was going to be a pain in the ass to deal with - but I dealt with it.

And one of the ways I "dealt with it", emotionally, was by writing a funny-snarky entry about it on my other blog.

Afterwards, I thought about how I'd brought my sense of humor to bear on the situation, and wondered why I have a much harder time doing that with my acting career.

Cause, after all, I'm a funny guy.

I imagine a sense of humor helps in most walks of life, but it's particularly important in acting - not just in bringing humor to the characters you play, but in dealing with what can be a tremendously difficult and stressful occupation without losing your mind (Or in my case, "losing what little mind I have left").

I'm not yet personally familiar with the difficulty and stress of succeeding as an actor, but I imagine it has its challenges (Maybe the #1 challenge being dealing with the fear that the success could go away at any time).

But I'm intimately familiar with the difficulty and stress of being a "struggling actor". And if you can't laugh at the business, and at yourself, from time to time, it will eat you up.

And I don't want to be eaten up.

I'm pretty good at making the most of a funny script, so now I just need to realize that the pursuit of an acting career, and sometimes life itself, is "a pretty funny script".

No comments: