Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Out With "Earl"/In With John Cleese?

(At this writing, I'm about $1.75 short of my $100 monthly goal - I need to get at least $100 worth of ad "clicks" before Google will cut me a check - so I'd like to take a moment to say "Thanks!". Your support of my efforts is very much appreciated.)

While I'm holding on to a razor-thin, "never say die" hope of getting a call about "Earl" today, I'm about 99.9% certain that ship has sailed; tv production typically moves too fast for there to be this much lag-time between a "producer session" and a decision.

Which means a decision has probably been made, and it didn't go my way.

Disappointing, to say the least - that would have been a nice credit, a fun day on the set, and I would have loved reporting my first booking since starting this blog (Not to mention I could really use the injection of cash right about now) - but life goes on.

I've said before that the best thing you can have happen when you don't book something is to have another audition right away.

I have another audition right away.

(Or pretty close to "right away" - this afternoon at 4:15, at Donna Rosenstein Casting in Burbank.)

It's an infomercial for The Book Of Inside Information (Apparently a tome on bargain-hunting), starring John Cleese.

The bad news?

It's an AFTRA contract, which sucks.

The worse news?

It's an AFTRA contract, which sucks, and I'm a "must-join", which sucks even harder - While AFTRA doesn't make you pony-up the whole membership fee when you have to join, like SAG, I think they basically garnish whatever wage you make under their contracts until you're paid-up.

(UPDATE: I just called my manager to ask about this - He told me that if I were to book the gig today, AFTRA would indeed want me to fill out a form letting them garnish my wages, to apply towards membership. But they can't make me fill it out - They'll just tack on a "late fee" if/when I'm deemed "late" in paying - so it's really no big deal.)

The great news in all this?

If I booked the gig, I'd be doing a bit with John Cleese.

And that would be cool.

(Interestingly, this is at least the third time I've gone in for a commercial starring John Cleese. I'm guessing that might be because he's so tall...but I'm going to tell myself it's because we're both so damned funny.)
_________________________

Continuing my effort to see the new fall shows, I've recently watched Worst Week Ever, a half-hour comedy, and The Mentalist, a drama (Both on CBS).

As a potential viewer, I could imagine watching either show again (Particularly "Worst Week"), but don't feel compelled to based on what I saw.

As an actor, they didn't use a lot of people beyond the series regulars on "Worst Week", so that didn't look too promising. But "Mentalist" has the advantage of any "procedural" show - a big cast, with a lot of guest stars.

Though somehow, I don't think "Mentalist" is going to be around that long; this is Simon Baker's third crack at a series, so obviously the PTB like him, but I don't think there's enough going on here to distinguish this show from any other procedural (And I think it's going to suffer because Psych, on USA, got there first with the "guy-who's-so-perceptive-he-seems-psychic" premise, and plays it for laughs).

With "Worst Week", I wonder how they're going to sustain the premise (likeable-schlub-has-serious-bad-luck), but at least it's a relatively original premise (Except, of course, for being an American knock-off of a British series).
_________________________

I was going to write about my finances vis-a-vis acting, but am realizing that going into it now would make this entry longer than I want it to be (In part, because I want to make time for a nap, if possible, between now and my audition this afternoon), so I think I'm going to save that scintillating topic for my next entry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the "Earl" auditon. You are so perfect for that show.

I have a different view of "Worst Week" than you did. I don't think it's original at all. As a matter of fact, the scene where he's telling her brother his Dad is dead? That's an almost line for line rip-off of a scene from Roseanne that Laurie Metcalf did and she was much, much funnier.

And I don't think I would ever mistake a huge kitchen for a powder room - dark or not.

(Yes, I am over analyzing the sitcom.)

Character Man said...

Yeah, and the ratings for the first episode of "Mentalist" were quite good, so shows you what I know :)