Saturday, September 13, 2008

One Good "Yes"

I'm going in for a "Rock The Vote" PSA on Monday.

I really enjoy getting called on a Friday for a Monday audition; it's nice to have something to look forward to on Monday all weekend long, and to feel like the week ahead will be getting off to a good start.

I'm going in for "Airport Security Guy", and it's a funny spot.

That's pretty much all I know from the breakdown, except for this intriguing bit: "THESE SCRIPTS POKE FUN AT ELDERLY PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR. ANYONE WHO WOULD BE OFFENDED BY THAT SHOULD PROBABLY NOT AUDITION."

(I'm pretty sure the only way I'd be offended was if they were bringing me in to play the elderly person whose behavior is being poked fun at. Otherwise, I'm totally ready to...Rock The Vote!)

It's not going to be a big cash bonanza, should I book it - No residuals. Just the "shoot fee" for the day - but I want it anyway. Cause for one thing, it's still money, and money is a good thing.

And for another - and this is the eternal optimist talking now - they'll air the heck out of it, and if it's actually funny, and my "Airport Security Guy" is part of the actual funniness, that could be good for my fledgling career.

But mostly, I just want to win one. It's been way too long...

Anyway, that's on Monday.
_________________________

In my continuing effort to catch new tv shows, I watched two episodes of the SWAT procedural Flashpoint on CBS.com earlier today (Flashpoint has actually been on the air for a couple weeks now; it bumped Swingtown, a summer show I liked quite a bit, from its original Thursday @ 10:00 timeslot).

I kind of wish I'd Googled the show first, cause then I wouldn't have needed to watch it - It shoots in Canada.

(If a show doesn't shoot here in LA, it's very unlikely I'll get cast in it - Guest Star roles might be cast out of LA, but I'm not at that level yet. And smaller Co-Star roles get cast wherever the show shoots - Because why would you pay to fly me to Toronto, for example, if I just have one line?)

So, as an actor, the show's a bust for me (Which is too bad, because it seems like there's all kinds of room for me in a good procedural).

As someone who just likes watching tv, the episodes I watched were pretty solidly mediocre. There was nothing that made me feel like I needed to add Flashpoint to the rotation.
_________________________

Picked up the 25 copies of my demo reel earlier this afternoon.

I'm still uncomfortable about the expense, but how's that old saying go? - "You have to spend money to make money"?

And all I need to make it a worthwhile expense is for just one person to look at it and say "Yes". That's all I need.

Just one good "Yes".

No comments: