Thursday, September 11, 2008

On The Lookout

As a tv viewer, I'm not on the lookout for new shows - My viewing schedule, as is stands, is about as full as I want it to be.

But as an actor, I'm definitely on the lookout for new shows...new shows I can work on.

So far, I've seen Above The Bar, Sons Of Anarchy, Fringe, and Do Not Disturb (For good measure, I've seen Above The Bar and Sons of Anarchy twice; they debuted last week).

I could see maybe making a habit of S.O.A. and Fringe - They were pretty decent - but feel like I can now safely skip A.B.T. (Which was solidly "meh" both weeks) and D.N.T. (A laugh-free sit-com starring Jerry O'Connell).

But assuming they all shoot here in L.A. (Or at least California, in the case of S.O.A.), I could work on all four shows (Though with D.N.T., a show about the staff of a hotel, they managed to go through their entire first episode without anyone apparently staying at the hotel, so that one's a "maybe", since I'd cast me in a Guest Star role as an eccentric hotel guest).

When I say "I could work" on a given show, I don't just mean a one-line co-star part - that could come up on any show. I mean, watching the show in question, I could see myself working on it in a meaningful way, as guest star, recurring character, or even a series regular.

I "fit" in the My Name Is Earl universe, for example (Likewise on a show like The Closer - I could totally be in the "Priority Homicide" squad), while not so much on Gossip Girl or 90210 (Though 90210's ratings fell dramatically in its second week, so whether or not I "fit" on that show might be a moot point ).

Shows with big, age-diverse casts are good. Shows with large numbers of weekly guest stars are good (Procedurals, hospital shows, etc.)

In any case, hopefully I'll be fitting into someone's tv universe sometime soon.
_________________________

And with the fall season revving up, one would assume that will mean more commercial production.

I'm seeing the Microsoft commercial I went in for, with Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates, all over the place.

I'm also seeing the Maytag commercial I auditioned for quite a bit (The one where a voting booth isn't working, until the "Maytag Repairman" comes out with a handful of ballots that were stuck in the machine; I was up for "Beleaguered Polling-Booth Guy").

Now, I've said before, I always feel a little twinge when I see commercials I went in for and didn't get, as I think of the fun experience I didn't have, and all the money I'm not making.

But...The "flip side" is that I've won the prize before, so it's not a big intellectual leapto imagine, before too long, that some other actor will soon be watching a commercial I've booked, thinking, "I went infor that spot...".

(Gotta wrap this up pretty soon - I have to head out to a workshop in a few minutes...)

I still haven't filled out my SAG election ballot.

This is my dilemma, as I spelled it out in my journal:

I'm worried about elections for the Screen Actors Guild (An election that could have a more direct impact on my life than the national election) - on the one hand, there's the group in power, whose hearts seem to be in the right place, but who may be too combative and reactionary to get anything done (And who might wreck the union in the process, as the opposition says they've already done); on the other hand, there's the group who may be willing to screw over the "little guy" and play kissy-face with management just to keep "business as usual" running smoothly, and keep their big paychecks coming in (And basically wrecking the union in the process).

How do I vote, without being afraid I'm doing more harm than good? What's an actor to do?

But earlier, I realized that both factions have websites, and I've got some time yet (The ballot doesn't have to be in till the 18th), so I think I'm going to check out the websites, and if there's an email address, I'm going email both sides with my concerns, see if I get any answers, and if I do, if I like the answers I get.

Otherwise, I'm just going to close my eyes, and start filling in circles.

And on that note, I gotta go.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been watching S.O.A., too, and I think you'd be perfect for that show! I love the show. Reminds me of my youth. ;) And Katey Segal is wonderful.

Character Man said...

Katey Segal IS rocking that show, isn't she? Her and Ron Perlman make a great couple.