Monday, September 29, 2008

I Got Plenty Of Nothin'

At this point, I'd like to be reporting that "Yay! I booked the infomercial with John Cleese!"...but I got nothin'.

That could pretty much be the title of this entry - "I Got Nothin'!".

I got no gigs, no auditions pending, nothing.

(No workshops, even.)

But the thing that sometimes makes me crazy about "The Business" is also one of its saving graces - You don't know what's going to happen next; I could end up not booking the infomercial, and not having any auditions for the next month...but I could just as easily book the gig, and have "the audition that makes all the difference" tomorrow.

Or the day after that.

Or the day after that.

I wrote about how being "on hold" for the infomercial was a good thing, even if I don't book it, because now I have an inroad at that casting office and what-have-you.

But I don't think I said how, even if "'close' only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades", and I need actual bookings, and it's "painful" to get so close and lose, it still means something to be reminded that "I've got game", that even when I don't win, I'm "in contention".

That it's not just "wishful thinking" to assume that, if I don't book this one, I'll book the next one.

I found myself thinking yesterday about getting a $7000 check from my commercial agent last year. And how, while I haven't seen any four-digit acting checks in quite some time, it happened, so there's every likelihood it'll happen again.

And if it were to happen again fairly soon? That would be cool.
_________________________

Speaking of money and checks and all that good stuff...

September is almost over, and I still haven't gotten a check from Google AdSense for all the ad-clicking you nice people did last month.

I'd have to double-check, but I think how it's supposed to work is that, once you pass $100 worth of ad-clicks in a given month, they send you a check, which you're supposed to receive by the end of the following month.

And here we are, at the end of "the following month".

In any case, I will be keeping you all apprised of the situation, since I feel like you've become partners in this little "keeping me afloat" venture of mine.
_________________________

Last night, I went to IOWest (For the uninitiated, "IO" stands for Improv Olympic), with fellow ACG'ers (Molly, Patrick, Stephanie & her boyfriend Nick, and Jim K.), to see our friend Silvia's "Rehab" pilot, which she starred in and co-wrote.

(I thought the show - 22 minutes long - about the crazy staff of a rehab facility, was problematic, but Silvia acquitted herself quite well.)

Being there made me wish people were coming to see something I was in - I always feel that way as an audience member (Going back to when I used to see plays back in Lansing) - but even more than that, made me think I should really explore improv.

When I got home last night, I checked the website about classes, and as I expected, it ain't cheap - $325 for eight once-a-week classes.

I don't think that would be a frivolous expense, mind you, but it just doesn't feel like money I have right now (Not when my finances are such that I'm currently debating what monthly "services" have to go, and which ones I can keep).

But they're doing a free class on the 11th next month, and I think I'm going to try to get in on that. Just to see what's what.

Who knows? Maybe if I proceed "as if" the money will come from somewhere...then the money will come from somewhere.

No comments: