Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Finding The Perfect Theater (Opportunity)

Paying this month's rent - which goes up every year at this time - has once again got me thinking, "Man! It sure would be nice to book a gig...!".

But anyway...

Well, I've broken down and signed up for a couple workshops this month - one next Thursday and one the following Thursday - but I think that's okay (They're casting workshops, after all; It's not like I'm reneging on my vow to stop doing crack...though I'd say there is a certain "addictive element" involved in both enterprises).

Right now, workshops are the only thing I've got telling me I'm "making an effort" in my career. Which is both the reason I want to keep doing them...and why I feel like they're something of a problem (On top of the previously-mentioned, "I'm getting tired of paying people to let me act, and no one paying me" frustration. Though that "frustration" is mixed with the satisfaction of showing casting people what I can do, and the fun of strutting my stuff in front of my peers).

In terms of doing theater, which I keep braying about to anyone who'll listen, I've bought a couple copies of Backstage West recently, have checked in periodically at Actors Access (Actors Access is part of Breakdown Services), and have bookmarked a website called Auditions.com, but feel like my efforts have been scattershot and half-hearted at best.

So what's the problem?

Part of the problem is that I tried to do theater when I first came out here, years ago, and didn't have a single good experience; I quit one production during rehearsal, was fired from another during rehearsal (Actually, before rehearsal even started), passed on another gig (Because it was basically a bit part for a show way out in Downey, and what would have been the point?), and in the only play I've actually done out here, a bad one-act called Crossing The Line, I was cast - I still don't understand why - in a role that was clearly written for an elderly black man (The role was double-cast, with me alternating performances with...an actual elderly black man).

That string of shitty experiences spooked me. I assumed there had to be good theater to do somewhere in L.A., but I sure didn't seem to know how to find it.

And now, while I want to do theater, I still don't want to do bad theater. I want to be proud of what I'm doing - otherwise why am I doing it? - and I want something that shows me off to best advantage (Meaning, amongst other things, that I'm not up for being a chorus boy). Cause there's no point in doing things that aren't going to be satisfying, and more to the point, things won't make a casting person say "Wow--Who is this guy?...".

And I don't want to do theater that's too far away (Because one of the reasons to do theater here is hoping someone will see you, and casting directors don't want to schlep out to Long Beach to see you do a dinner theater production of Ten Little Indians).

But where is this magical place, that's doing shows I like, with roles I'd be great in, that's near enough that I don't have to drive (That's another thing - I'd rather not have to drive), and that I could maybe bribe a casting person or two into attending?

I don't know. And I hardly know where to start.

But the thought that it's what I should be doing continues to nag at me.
_________________________

Watched the final season opener of The Shield last night.

And while I just said I wasn't going to go on about why I want to act in here, I will say this - All day yesterday, I was excited about the show that evening.

And it reminded me when I was younger, at the movies - I would be happy to be at the movies, excited, looking forward to the show, and I know at some point it hit me, "Wouldn't it be cool if people were as excited to see something I was a part of as I am right now...?".

It's not my only motivation for being an actor...but it's definitely a big piece of it.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hey....what's wrong with "Ten Little Indians"? =)

One of the reasons that I think that it is so hard for actors to get paid for what they do is the sheer fact that they are WILLING to do it for free. Compare this to those who call themselves professional musicians - they refuse to do ANYTHING unless they are getting paid, and guess what? They get paid.

I think that there is such a GLUT of actors out there willing to do things for free, or for "exposure", that no one making "pay decisions" feels the NEED to actually pay - not when there are at least a dozen more behind you who will do it for nothing.

Conclusion:

Unless actors, as a group, are no longer willing to do work for free, we will be hard pressed to convince money-people that we are WORTH paying for...

Laura now decends from her soapbox...