Thursday, July 10, 2008

What Happens Now?

So the AFTRA contract has been ratified.

I've read that these things typically pass by 90% or better, so SAG's "Vote No" campaign apparently had some effect (The vote was 62% in favor).

Just not enough effect.

I somehow thought that meant SAG would be quickly agreeing to the deal on the table, but clearly, I don't know my SAG leadership very well - I read earlier this evening that they rejected the "final offer" from the AMPTP.

And the dance goes on.

(For the record: I've been in SAG for three years now, and am about as involved in my union as I am politically, which means that I vote...and that's about it. So I'm not likely to be a font of wisdom and clarity here, since I'm trying to figure things out myself.)

In a perfect world, I'd like to see SAG get everything it's asking for, because it's all pretty fair, reasonable stuff. But with the economy like it is, with people still smarting from the WGA strike earlier this year, and with the AFTRA membership ratifying their contract, it doesn' t look like its in the cards for SAG to get anything appreciably better than the other unions got.

That being the case, I would like to see the AMPTP offer some face-saving extra incentive for SAG to agree to the deal, so we can put this year's ugliness behind us.

And hopefully, SAG will start working immediately on how to not have this be the outcome the next time out.

No comments: