Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Very Humble Beginnings

I am an actor.

A 47-year-old, "distinctive looking" character man.

While I wasn't always 47 years old, I've always been "distinctive looking", and I've always been a character, even before I knew what the word "character" meant. But it's only been in recent years - the past seven, to be precise - that I've committed to being a professional character.

Which brings us to the present day.

Now I live in a K-town single in LA, just me and Kipper (My 9 year old "Craigslist Cat"), as I try making an honest-to-God acting career happen in mid-life.

(Okay, maybe the far end of "mid-life", but why quibble over semantics?).

I've had a small measure of success - at this writing, and for about a month-and-a-half now, I'm doing what many actors can only dream of, and living off the proceeds from my work (Fortunately, beyond basic food and shelter - and cable and high-speed internet - my needs are few) - but in terms of "climbing the ladder to success"? Well, on a good day, I feel like I've finally got a foot on the first rung.

I have another blog I've kept for years, since before I came out to Hollywood, but recently, I've started wondering if a more specific blog, about my acting experiences, would be worth exploring.

I've also started wondering - I'm just full of "wonder" these days - whether I have it in me to be a "hyphenate" actor/writer.

I've "wondered" about it, I've "thought" about it, but as a writer friend told me recently, "Writers write".

And that made sense to me.

So here I am. Not "wondering", not "thinking", but writing about it. Seeing what I have to say, what stories there are to tell. Wondering, in the days and weeks to come, if I'll find an audience (Or if an audience will find me).

I'm starting this blog not knowing exactly what it'll be, but hoping it'll be interesting to find out.

Hopefully, you'll find it interesting too.

No comments: