Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Television - Only My SECOND Biggest Addiction

I have no idea if anyone's still reading this blog - I'm guessing not - but it hardly matters: I journaled for years with no one reading what I wrote (long before the word "blog" was invented), so while a readership is nice, it's not strictly necessary.

As I write this, I'm looking at an envelope on which I've written the titles of everything I'm regularly watching on tv right now.

On Monday, I watch Terminator, Chuck, and Heroes (I tried My Own Worst Enemy, but don't feel the need to "put it in the rotation").

On Tuesday, I watch The Shield (For now - There's only three episodes left till the series finale).

On Wednesday, I watch Bones and Pushing Daisies.

On Thursday, I watch My Name Is Earl, Kath and Kim (I watched the pilot- which was terrible - then fast-forwarded through it last week - easier to do that than skip it when programming my dvr), The Office, 30 Rock, Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, and Life On Mars. Big night.

On Friday I was watching The Ex-List...but it just got canceled

On Saturday I watch...nothing

And on Sunday I watch Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, and Mad Men (I also watch Dexter, but since I don't have Showtime, I watch it after the fact on the Internet).

I also watch Lost, Psych, Burn Notice, The Closer, Saving Grace, and In Plain Sight, none of which are on right now (I'm assuming the cable shows, which are all of them but Lost, will be back in January; I'm not sure when Lost is back).

Outside of those shows, I will watch House now and again (I just watched the most recent episode on Hulu), Monk, Jon and Kate plus 8, Family Guy, and - if I can stay awake for it - Robot Chicken.

I'm also a big fan of So You Think You Can Dance (But not Dancing With The Stars - I lost interest when John O'Hurley got robbed the first season).

I was watching Boston Legal till just this year, but it got too dumb for me, so I dropped it (Which I might do with Heroes as well, for pretty much the same reason).

Looking over this list of shows, the first thing I notice is that I don't seem to be a big fan of straight procedurals - No CSI's or Law & Order's on the list.

Also not a lot of "reality" (Other than Jon & Kate) - I gave it a try (I used to be a fan of The Real World years back, watched the first seasons of Survivor and Big Brother, and saw a season or two of Project Runway when a friend from Michigan used to send it to me on video before I got cable), but for the most part, "reality" doesn't give me what I need.

But the biggest thing of all I notice? Is that, while the shows I've listed represent hours and hours of tv watching (Not to mention all the "grazing" I do, and all the movies I watch on tv), I spend nowhere near as much time watching tv as I do on the Internet.

If you'd ever told me, back in the day, "You know what? Someday you'll spend more time playing on a computer than watching television", I would never have believed you.

Not in a million years.

Live and learn...

No comments: