Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Strike? Now? Really?

Just got an email from my commercial agent about the SAG negotiating committee calling for a strike authorization vote.

My first response was, "Now...?".

I am not at all well-versed in how to negotiate, but I just can't see how a strike would be successful right now - with the WGA strike, and the SAG/AMPTP uncertainty, and the economy, and whatever else has been going on, I've had a dismal year (in terms of auditions and bookings), and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here.

So how are you going to get the rank-and-file to even go for a strike vote? What do you expect them to say - "Yeah, it's been an awful year, and I'm really hurting, but sure - I'll vote to assure I won't make any money from acting for who-knows-how-long"?

I actually agree with SAG on the issues, as I understand them. But when all the AMPTP has to do is say "Look at the economy - it's as bad as it's ever been, and these rich, greedy actors still want more money...", and SAG won't have a friend in the world, how exactly does a strike succeed?
_________________________

While it could still happen - the "hold" is for the 13th-17th of the month - hope wanes that the infomercial with John Cleese is going to turn into an actual gig.

And even if it did, it would just be a band-aid over what's becoming the gaping wound of my finances.
_________________________

I tried yesterday, on a whim (And without success), to look at a cheaper apartment about a 40-minute walk from where I live (It was the first day on the job for the apartment manager, and she apparently didn't have keys for the apartments yet. Which seemed odd, but whatever).

It's a crappier building, in a sketchier area, and undoubtedly, an apartment I'd be much less comfortable in (A "bachelor", as opposed to the comparatively spacious "single" I've lived in for the past six years or so), but the price would be right - almost $190 a month less than I'm paying now (Under those circumstances, what I'm now paying for rent alone would cover all my monthly bills, except for food).

And what's this have to do with acting, you're wondering?

From my perspective, it feels like an object lesson about how an acting career can wax and wane, and how there are just no guarantees; last year I was, in relative terms, "on top", and now...I'm having to consider moving from an apartment I'm very comfortable and happy with, to someplace that will definitely be a step (or three) down, just to be able to "stay in the fight".
_________________________

I emailed my commercial agent a response to his FYI about the SAG thing, pretty much expressing the sentiments about a possible strike that I just shared with you.

He just emailed me back:

I HEAR YA AND I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YA!

On one hand, I believe that the actors deserve what they're asking for but on the other hand, I think it's just the wrong time to strike.

Things are not great in our industry. The "big guns" continue to get wealthier and everyone else gets to scramble for the scraps.

You're a good type and a talented actor so I do hope you work things out to your personal satisfaction and continue pursuing your acting career. There are many actors that I would encourage to pack-it-in and head outta dodge but you're most definitely not one of them!

I hope to keep JS afloat by keeping my roster lean and my overhead even leaner!

Jon

(I like my commercial agent.)

There's really nothing to do here but hang on, hope for the best, and do what I gotta do till the storm blows over.

Wish me luck. Cause I could use some right about now.

No comments: