Sunday, October 5, 2008

Call Me Pollyanna

When I started this blog, I hoped for a couple things:

1. To be reporting on lots of auditions and bookings.

2. To be making some money (From the ad thing).

Now money is off the table (I know - I've got the little Paypal "donate" thing up, but I'm not expecting anything from that), and auditions and bookings have been so rare this year, I'm wondering if I'm still actually an actor.

And I haven't worked since May, I have a job (With Weight Watchers) that it turns out doesn't come with regular shifts or hours (At this point, I'm a "sub")...and the money just keeps draining away.

And I'm having pain in my lower abdomen; nothing serious (At this point, it's more "discomfort" than actual pain), but since the first time I felt "discomfort" like this (In the 80s) I had a hernia, and the second time (A couple years ago), I had to have a bowel resection and spent a week in the hospital...well, let's just say I'm a little concerned.

(Called earlier this afternoon to make a Doctor's appointment; I'm waiting to hear back, to see if he can "fit me in" this week. Otherwise, I'll have to wait till sometime next week.)

In short, there have been better times to be me.

But, to be fair, there have also been worse times to be me.

But "keeping my sunny-side up", I'm not out of funds yet.

And there's every reason to hope Weight Watchers will pan out better than I'm imagining right now

And there's always the hope of "getting a check in the mail" - Either from JS (For the AT&T spot, or for a renewal of the Comcast promos), From SAG (a residual check from one of my co-star spots), or from Coldstone (I filed a claim with SAG because Coldstone ran my commercial on their website past my contract's expiration date).

And even though the pickings have been sparse, there's still always a shot at getting more auditions, or booking something from the dribs and drabs I'm getting now (Booking anything would be helpful, to be sure. But in pure financial terms, a national commercial would be "just what the doctor ordered").

And regarding my mystery abdominal pain?

Well, I can always hope it's "nothing".

And if it isn't?

At least I have insurance(Till this coming July).

And that, my friends, is how a struggling actor holds off panic and fear for another day...

No comments: